The following insights are taken from a weekly discussion between Sunset’s nine US/MX branches.
Trends and discussions range from seasonal manufacturing and agriculture trends that affect available capacity to general insight into outside factors affecting freight volumes.
Below is a summary of the January 13 call:
FREIGHT VOLUMES & CAPACITY
- Capacity is tight, continuing the crunch at year-end. Port volumes are still high and we look to those volumes as a marker for OTR volume slowdowns.
- Rates remain high and shipper bids are being extended rather than new bids for 2021 as a response to these high rates and limited capacity.
- East Coast rates are especially high right now.
- We’re hearing shippers are frustrated with turnover at their 3PLs and feeling a lack of support from their current providers. Keep in mind Sunset has dedicated, accountable, and flexible account reps — don’t settle for sub-par service!
Related post: Steve Pandolfo speaks on $70B holiday e-commerce returns and implications for the transportation industry via St. Louis Business Journal
- Grand Haven, MI: Doug Bryant
- Green Bay, WI: Rick Kerr
- Laredo, TX: Jose Minarro
- Nashville, TN: Jonathan Falcon
- St. Louis, MO: Justin Danks
- St. Paul, MN: Mike Morris
- Wilson, NC: Mary McCallister