The following insights are taken from a weekly discussion between Sunset’s nine US/MX branches.
Trends and discussions range from seasonal manufacturing and agriculture trends that affect available capacity to general insight into outside factors affecting freight volumes.
Below is a summary of the February 10 call:
FREIGHT VOLUMES & CAPACITY
- February capacity availability has been a slow to start the month.
- Chinese New Year beginning this week will have impacts on inbound port freight and thus, delays for all inbound trade and residual OTR products that need to be moved.
- Spot markets are aggressive right now.
- Fuel rates spiked with weather across the Midwest and East coasts.
- Carrier rates are expected to stay at these rates through summer and likely into Q3.
Related posts: February Cross-Border Update
- Grand Haven, MI: Doug Bryant
- Green Bay, WI: Rick Kerr
- Laredo, TX: Jose Minarro
- Nashville, TN: Jonathan Falcon
- St. Louis, MO: Justin Danks
- St. Paul, MN: Mike Morris
- Wilson, NC: Mary McCallister